Shingen's Return Odd-Eyes Predaplants

It's been a long time since I last posted but I am back in the game -- 2 months before Link Summoning in TCG. I've been studying up on a lot of cards and decks to finish these last 2 months before the new mechanics come. I've never really spent that much money on the game when I first started. I was in high school at the time and I didn't really have money. I just collected what people didn't wanted and had terrible luck with pulls. The only saving grace was tins -- I came back to the game from elementary school and found out about synchros! I got the Stardust Dragon from the tin and that was the best thing that I ever got. I was beginning to learn about strategies and how to build a deck from my friend Ming. I used to just add cards that looked cool or had effects and had a huge pile of mish mash. Now, I feel like I can speak better to balancing having a budget (yay! I get paid pretty well at work) and creating a fun enough deck that can do ok at locals (big and small). To be honest, getting 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place prizes is great but you get the OTS packs anyway! You learn a lot about your deck and side deck as well rather than going on YGOPro or something and just playing everything -- even cards you don't have.

 I have always played a lot of Winged Beast or Plant decks and I wanted to continue doing so rather than play Zoodiacs or True Dracos. I did consider playing True Dracos because I had pulled 2 Diagrams and 2 Master Peace during my sneak peek, I wanted to continue to have fun. I found a smaller locals with same prizes with less competitive decks (lots of elemental heroes, blue eyes, dinosaurs, etc). I often was middle of the pack at locals -- usually one to one win/loss ratio. I often end up 4-4 or 3-3, etc. so this is not too bad.

Side story -- I won a mat at locals! I always have had terrible luck with everything in Yugioh and my luck changed for once. I was very excited when I found out about Predaplants and Lyrilusc cards in Maximum Crisis -- I ended up going with an Odd-Eyes Predaplant deck. Here's the deck list:

Monsters
Ash Blossom & Joyous Spring x2
Ghost Ogre & Snow Rabbit x1
D.D. Crow x1
Odd-Eyes Persona Dragon x2
Odd-Eyes Mirage Dragon x2
Odd-Eyes Pendulum Dragon x3
Performapal Trump Girl x1
Glow-Up Bulb x1
Junk Synchron x1
Predaplant Orphys Scorpio x2
Predaplant ChlamydoSundew x3
Predaplant Sarraceniant x2
Predaplant Darlingtonia Cobra x1
Predaplant Spinodionaea x1
Lonefire Blossom x3

Spells
Dueslist Alliance x2
Terraforming x1
Twin Twister x1
Sky Iris x2 Raigeki x1
Dark Hole x1 Predaponics x1
Predapruning x1
Re-Fusion x1
Odd-Eyes Fusion x1
Fusion Substitute x1
Polymerization x1
Extra Deck
Predaplant Chimerafflesia x2
Starving Venom Fusion Dragon x2
Greedy Venom Fusion Dragon x1
Odd-Eyes Vortex Dragon x1
Performapal Ghattlinghoul x1
Odd-Eyes Raging Dragon x1
Odd-Eyes Rebellion Dragon x1
Odd-Eyes Absolute Dragon x1
Trishula x1
Black Rose Moonlight Dragon x1
PSY-Framelord Omega x1
Scarlet Red Dragon Archfiend x1
Odd-Eyes Meteorburst Dragon x1

I don't play traps in this deck. I highly considered running Solemn Warning, Solemn Strike x2, and Quaking Mirror Force x2. I also considered adding another Twin Twister to the deck. My consideration was this -- how often do I run up against stun decks and how do I have answers to back row. I ran through a whole lot of variants to figure out how to fight back row: testing more traps and spell removal, trying Archfiend Eccentrick, etc. I figured that my extra deck has Starving and Greed Venom and I have Raigeki and Dark Hole as removal. This however, comes up with multiple issues -- I expend a ton of resources in order to get through my opponent's back row and monsters, I can't kill Master Peace (it's often resistant to spells and monster effects), and Predplants slow down the normal pendulum process so I can't burst and go crazy like Magician Pendulums. This is actually something I'm still trying to work through. I think Cosmic Cyclone will be mandatory at two in the deck -- I'm just a bit hesitant at spending $50 for 2 spells, probably will end up doing it this week. With my thinking, it pretty much is mandatory to side deck Forbidden Chalice x2, Interrupted Kaiju Slumber x2, and 3 Kaijus to fight things like Drident, Master Peace.

Ash Blossom & Joyous Spring brings an interesting change to the game because it can negate so many things. It makes Orphys Scorpio, Sky Iris, Lonefire Blossom and a lot of cards irrelevant in my deck. I'm going to play test the Orphys Scorpio and the Darlingtonia Cobra a bit more in this deck because I think Flytap and Spinodionaea is more important for monster removal. Sundew allow it to consider any monster with a counter on it as dark type so that is what makes it better than running Orphys Scorpio and Darlingtonia Cobra because Ash Blossom cannot stop it. Sundew is unique in that it allows you to use your opponent's monster but by no means is it the only built in polymerization of its kind -- Performapal Trump Girl and Curse of Dragonfire can both function as the role for your polymerization.

 My third thing is: hand traps. I think it is important to have 4-5 hand traps in the deck. I have Ash Blossom at two but some will have it at three. The best hand traps this format are probably going to be Ash Blossom, Ghost Ogre, and D.D. Crow. I decided that 4 was the best ratio because I can use the D.D. Crow as a dark material for fusion and Ghost Ogre as a tuner. I know that I wasn't going to just use Ash Blossoms carelessly as synchro material.

 I think it is important to have something like Ghattlinghoul that can inflict burn damage -- everything costs life. You have people running Imperial Order (8.75% life PER standby phase), Solemn Warning (25% life), Solemn Strike (18.75% life), Skill Drain (12.5% life), and Unending Nightmare (12.5% life PER use). With Ghattlinghoul, it is very easy to inflict at least 3000 damage (37.5% life minimum) easily. Most of the time, it inflicts close to 50% life. I often ran things like Ring of Destruction and Dark Strike Fighter to get the same effect -- especially when I couldn't overpower my opponent's monsters. I thought about using Ultra Polymerization to make sure it summons successfully -- I might drop something to add that since I don't run things that drain my life. This goes back to my idea that hand traps -- I think they are much better than traps because you don't have to expend a turn waiting to activate or be susceptible to spell/trap removal.

 Consideration for Supreme King Z-Arc. I thought about running this card with another Odd-Eyes Fusion and Miracle Synchro Fusion because I needed a strong beater and it had a decent effect. Only issue is the amount of cards it took to summon this -- it ends up not being worth it a lot of the times but is a great turn 2 opening.

 Predaplants is incredibly inconsistent. I tried combining them (before Maximum Crisis came out) with Phantom of Chaos, Dark Creator, and Necroface. Dark Creator allowed an instant Greedy Venom Fusion Dragon but was entirely useless if people negate Sundew's effect or summon. Predaplants cannot exist and play consistently without Pendulum Summon -- it gives a second chance to make a strong play to pull out a good fusion monster. Sarraceniant combined with Sky Iris and Duelist Alliance gives a strong search engine which improves the consistency of the deck. I don't think Predaplants can exist in pure form. It will take a lot more play testing to make Predaplant Odd-Eyes as consistent and good as Magician Odd-Eyes which has strong OTK potential. I am considering running a D/D(/D) Engine for better synchro support for the deck rather than Junk Synchron and Glow-Up Bulb.

 I hope everyone continues to enjoy the game -- even with link summoning. Find friends or a casual locals spot to play fun stuff if you can't afford the expensive top of the tier decks.

Comments

Popular Posts